Sunday, July 15, 2012

Day Forty-Four

     ****NAMES CHANGED TO PROTECT PORTLAND'S STREET KIDS***** 

I'm not huge on the horoscope thing but sometimes when I'm bored I'll look mine up. Here is what mine said for Saturday:

Saturday, 14 Jul 2012                                        
   Withdrawing from emotional social contact is favored now, for even when you are with others you are likely to feel separate and alone. Sadness and disappointments in your personal life are also probable now. Inadequacies and flaws in your friends or lovers are particularly bothersome to you now, and you may feel that you have nearly exhausted your patience for dealing with these problems. It is a time to be quiet and to look objectively at how your relationships are going. Though not a pleasurable time, this can be a fruitful period in which to learn more about love and what you truly value.


I have to say it was pretty damn accurate.

 When I walk into the dorm after putting in my contacts I see Vampire Girl pacing in circles staring at the floor say, "Oh my God. Oh my God." Little droplets of blood fall to the floor from between her legs.

"What's going on?" I ask.
"I'm miscarrying."

I'm not sure what to say about this. I'm still skeptical about this "pregnancy" but there's no way she can fake bleeding out of her vagina. She's pale and frantic. I conclude that there is one of two things going on. 1. She did not fake this pregnancy and she is really and truly having a miscarriage in our dorm or 2. She really truly believes she is pregnant and she just got her period. Still, with the droplets on the floor that would make an incredibly heavy period.

"You need to go to the hospital." I say, in case she truly is having a miscarriage, "If you don't tell staff you need to go I will."
"Please don't. It'll be fine."

I'm not a morning person and I haven't had coffee so I can't really weigh out the pros and cons in this state. I decide to let her make her own decisions on this one since I'm not really sure what is the best thing to do or what is really happening. I end up missing Kitten Lady when I leave shelter so I go to the library to be by my lonesome and use the computer.

KL calls me and tells me she needs me. I can tell by her voice she needs someone soon. I pack up and go to meet her at Baja Fresh. When I get there she says, "The kitten is gone."
"What do you mean gone?" I ask
She let one of the other street kids hold her and he claims she ran away when she got spooked. I offer to go look even though they already have. Houdini starts throwing a fit and yells, "She's staying with me." I can barely keep my mouth shut at this as KL is not his property so I decide to leave before things get ugly.

I spend the majority of my day back at the library getting lost in books and internet. I do not want to deal with anyone or anything. With the drama last night I couldn't sleep. I use the last of my food stamps on yogurt and cookie dough. KL meets up with me while waiting for shelter and Drama Girl is once again following her. It irritates me enough to want to leave but KL asks me not to. I get into the shelter and go directly to bed, where I can hide behind my tented sheet and listen to music and read and be done with people for the day.

--mm

No comments:

Post a Comment