Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Day Fifty-Nine

    ****NAMES CHANGED TO PROTECT PORTLAND'S STREET KIDS*****

Sleep is not easy. I wake up with night sweats but not from nightmares (for once). This is one of the big warning signs of a kidney infection. I know this because I've had them before. Not only that but I piss blood and I have the tremors bad. Don't you hate it when you know your body so well you know when you're sick before doctor's can even run tests?

It's Sunday so the only services open is Day Program #1 which opens in the afternoon. To make matters worse I have to check in with Beard Man or Mother Goose today or I'll lose my bed. I'd rather eat my big toe than talk to those idiots but Kitten Lady keeps telling me I need to suck up my pride. I agree to talk to them but make no promises to be nice. "It's going to be a dramatic day," I warn her.

We go to Powell's where I sell the Tarot deck we stole for $4. Dream big! As for the rest of our adventures in Powell's I'll just say we were naughty. That wheel chair is a boosting machine. We both hate it though. It's a million pounds and I can barely push us up the hills that are Portland. "I think I know why they didn't put metal bars on this wheel chair," KL observes, "They didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to steal it."

I guess OHSU didn't prepare themselves for us.

Once it is time to go to the day program we prepare ourselves for a giant blow out. With us being interrupted with my having to pee every ten seconds we don't really have a whole lot of time to come up with a plan. I'm okay with getting kicked out but only minor-ly kicked out as I need to see the doctor in the youth clinic for my kidney.

When we get there I have to pee right that second. When you have a kidney infection you have to pee all the time and at a moment's notice. It's painful, like pissing glass. All the bathrooms are of course full and I freak out, groaning in pain. Mother Goose asks what's going on and I scream I need a bathroom. While I'm screaming that I need a bathroom I start yelling about this whole needing to check in thing, "I need a bathroom right now and I'd also like an explanation as to how you guys don't have the time of day to ask me how I'm doing or even say hello but you can go out of your way to send emails saying you want me kicked out of my res."
"Why don't we get you to a bathroom?"
"Fuck yes I need a bathroom but I need an explanation for this bullshit too."

Only me. Even I'll admit I can be one crazy bitch, fighting over a bed reservation while screaming that I need a bathroom. She opens the downstairs bathroom for me and I run to the toilet where I...well I don't think you want the details. When I come out she asks if it hurts. Obviously, it hurts like shit.

We end up talking in the lobby of the medical clinic which is fine. It's preferable to her office which is usually crowded with hygiene products and other supplies for homeless fucks like us. I tell her I think they're all assholes, denying us things we need just because we might "sell" them because KL and Houdini are addict. I rant for quite awhile, by the end of it I'm sick of hearing myself.

Mother Goose goes into complete ass kissing mode. I'm surprised when she gives us the movie tickets we have been asking for for months. She says she'll keep my reservation for shelter and by the end of the night I'm satisfied enough to keep putting up with the bullshit another day.

We go to the medical clinic where our lazy eye doctor is working. I go into my story telling mode and complain about the pokey sticks and water torture and all the other horrible things that happened to me. She agrees with me when I tell her everything that is happening to make me think I have a kidney infection. She prescribes me another set of antibiotics and says I need to take both.

She gets KL a new wheel chair, one she can wheel herself, that's ten thousand pounds lighter so I can push it without dying. One of the other kids with a broken foot is getting a wheel chair too so I joke we should race. The doctor is thrilled with this. We take ourselves and our new wheel chair up to the benches by shelter where we smoke weed with a stolen pipe until it's time to go inside and go to bed.

--mm

No comments:

Post a Comment