Saturday, June 30, 2012

Services




It has been brought to my attention that the different services I use are confusing to keep track of. I figured they were. There's so many I'm confused about them and I use them. So here's a break down (names of organizations changed to protect anonymity):

 Youth Program-This is the name of the WHOLE program. Every other branch falls under this name.

*You are referred to either #1 or #2 for case management. Not really sure how they decide which program but I'm referred to #1. No matter which you are referred to you can attend both programs.*  

Day Program #1-  is one of two day service programs. This is a place where meals are severed and offers a place to spend your time every other week day. It is completely closed on Saturdays but open all day Sunday. It also provides case management, legal advice, medical clinic, acupuncture, basically any need. You can even get massages there. It's a really awesome program and the staff there are AMAZING! This is where I go for case management and to hang out. They also provide showers, lockers, socks, underwear, hygiene products, etc. Sometimes they help with bus tickets or tickets to see movies. Here are the branches under #1:

Case Management-  Case management is earned not given. First you have to choose a point person. (Mine was Mother Goose). If you check in with them regularly then you can get Beard Man to be your case manager. Once you get him as your case manager you work with him once a week to prove yourself before you are given your real case management.

Education- Education/employment resource center. I've only been there once. They help meet educational and employment needs. When I went to speak with them they said they were moving around their program so I have no resources from them until they're done. Because I have a diploma and work experience I'm "too hire-able".  This is suckage but I think Mother Goose was more mad about this than I was.

Clinic- Free medical care for homeless youth and marginalized population. Provides medical, dental, acupuncture, chiropractic, counseling, massage, pretty much anything you could possibly ever want. Doesn't provide pain meds for obvious reasons though.

Theater- I've never been to this so I don't know a ton about it but it's a theater program for those that are interested in performing or acting or any of that. I do know someone who got some sort of video internship there so it must be pretty good. They pay for their internships. I believe it meets one night a week. I just have never been so I don't have a ton of information on this.

Queer Group- Since I'm straight I know nothing about this but it's a group for the queer population. I know they watch movies sometimes. I imagine they also do group therapy type stuff. Other than that I have no idea what goes on there.

AD Recreation Group- So the AD rec group is generally targeted at those who struggle with adiction or dependency. However, anyone is welcome and if there's a rec group you should always sign up because 9 times out of 10 they are fucking awesome. Some things rec group has done: bowling, hiking, movies, Backspace (the coolest cafe in Portland), and other stuff I can't think of because I'm sleep deprived. I haven't been able to go lately though. Every time I try to something else comes up. :(

Yoga- They hold yoga twice a week in the basement. I enjoy it but haven't been able to go lately because it's either canceled, I'm sick, or I have something else I have to do. The one downside to yoga is it fucking stinks. Homeless kids locked in a small room sweating on dirty mats. Yuck.

Legal Clinic-  free legal advice once a week.

Transitional Housing- There are transitional apartments above the rest of the building. There are two types, one that is more dorm style with personal rooms and the other are studio apartments.

Work Experience- Doggy day care that offers employment for homeless youth.

#2- This is where I was screened the first time. It's bigger than #1 (well the space for us to hang out) with a flat screen television and pool table but it's so loud and crowded and the food sucks. Here's what they have:

Music Program- is a place you can go to play musical instruments. They also offer lessons on how to play for all levels. I go and hang out occasionally but don't do much in the music department. I usually hunker down in a corner and write. They also offer art stuff but I don't know as much about that. Generally they are open three nights a week 6-8pm.

Education- I know nothing about this except that it offers help with computer access, GED, and getting into school.

Transitional housing- I know nothing about their transitional housing program but I hear their apartments aren't as nice as #1.

Case Management- I imagine their case management system is pretty similar to #1 but I know absolutely nothing about it.

Clothing Closet- Random clothes for when you're naked. More or less.

#2 also has rec groups and stuff I think. I just don't know as much since I rarely go there.

Shelters:
Downstairs-  is the "short term" crisis shelter. We are on the second floor of the building. You do not have a guarantee of a bed every night. It opens at 8:45 and for the most part it's strictly first come first serve. The stay is for 2 weeks but case workers can extend it and usually always do. Staff can kick you out of shelter however and often do without hesitation if they feel like it. Provides breakfast and dinner but to get breakfast you have to be up at a certain time.

Upstairs- This is a long term shelter with many benefits. You get to leave later, leave your stuff on the property instead of having to carry it all day, do chores instead of being kicked out, stay up later, have a better selection of movies, do laundry, have pillows etc. Some people leave upstairs because they don't like it. Apparently it is very strict and by the book. Most people still want up there though. 


Private- I don't know a whole lot about the private rooms but if you have a job/ssi/school you can get into them where it will have the same hours as shelter but you will have your own room. 


Other Stuff:
PEAR- Honestly I know nothing about Pear. Jesus said it's like school without learning anything. They offer mentorship but I'm not sure what that means. It's on the other side of town though so I've never been and I hear few people talk about it so I can't speak for it.

And I'm convinced I'm forgetting something...

There are so many different branches and services I don't think I've even scratched the surface of them yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment