Friday, June 15, 2012

Day Fourteen

    ****NAMES CHANGED TO PROTECT PORTLAND'S STREET KIDS***** 

We got on the max and headed toward downtown, stopping at Llyod center to look for backpacks as Jesus is barely holding his in one piece. This was futile as Ross only had small flimsy backpacks and the luggage store was charging $50-100 for the same backpacks Ross had. It wasn't a total waste as I got desperately needed ear buds and treated myself to a Jamba Juice Chunky Strawberry Topper with extra peanut butter in the largest size. I miss those too much to walk past Jamba Juice without indulging.

I licked the cup clean sitting on the max. "Like that much?" Jesus asked.
"Dude, this is my crack. I like this shit better than oatmeal."
"That says a lot you love your oatmeal." Jesus said.
"Mmmhmm."
"So that must be your crack and oatmeal must be your cocaine."
"Something like that."
"What's your heroin?"
"Disney movies."
He laughed, "What's your pot?"
"Marijuana."
"Good answer."
"What's your meth?"
I had to think about that one but Jesus beat me to it, "Your meth is PDX Playdate."

Jesus once told me my breath smells like cane sugar all the time.  All those damn sugary drugs. A side effect I can live with.

We stopped by OI to put our dirty clothes and  in my locker to lighten up our bags. I talked to Beard Man about getting on the waitlist for the shelter upstairs that is nicer and to put me in extended stay in the shelter I'm currently in as my two weeks are up. He said he would do that if I was willing to meet with him once a week on Tuesdays. More than willing, I am now on those lists. Finally.

I went to the library while Jesus met up with his friend Stimpy. I looked up directions to the army surplus center we needed to go to, to find gear  and new backpacks. Jesus' backpack no longer zips and falls apart whenever it so chooses. I told Jesus I found the directions so we decided to meet up and go together in a threesome to the army surplus store.

It took awhile to get there. We got lost and turned around a few times. Stimpy had a little orange dog (Sunny) with her. I enjoyed having a puppy with us. I miss having animals whenever I want. We finally found the army surplus store where I made a few investments. $16 in a waterproof jacket, $13 on a sleeping bag, and $33 on a vintage army backpack. This way I can carry one bag instead of two with everything fitting comfortably without me having to worry about my laptop being kicked around in the duffel bag. Plus I think it's cute.

So, needless to say no more spending until I get a job. There is nothing else I could possibly need between now and then. Stimpy and I split a burrito while Jesus went to Amp. We fed Sunny our scraps. Stimpy, who I assumed was atheist since she hung out with Jesus started to try and convert me to Christianity. I set my jaw thinking just don't engage just don't engage.

Later Jesus would tell me he didn't know that she was a Christian. This was a new development. She had only recently converted to Christianity. Jesus Christ. I decided the best way to lose her was to go to Amp even though it wouldn't be over for another 30 minutes. Being around other people would hopefully give her someone else to convert.

I lost her easily at Amp and went to hide in the studio room with Tiny Pregnant Lady. After Amp closed Jesus and I went to Fred Meyer's to buy candy. We were both let up into shelter and much to my dismay Bitch Lady was working. She decided to double check and Jesus' BLA had not cleared so he was sent to sleep outside again, for the fourth day in a row. I offered to go out with him but he shook his head, took the sleeping bag, and told me to rest.

I played a round of Rummy with some of the guys but we stopped after one guy asked to be dealt in without having a clue how to play. He had way too many dead brain cells missing post years of drug addiction. I gave up explaining Rummy after five minutes.

I hung out with San Fran Man for a bit then went to talk to Gang Banger Dude. He told me Bitch Lady was fired but being allowed to work her last few shifts. I really hope this is the truth but you never know who is being honest or not in shelter. He did tell me however not to worry about Bitch Lady messing with me again.

"If she even thinks about it I'll pop her in the mouth," he told me, "I already told Director Lady to her face. She's not going to do that to you again."
His friend, Skinny Black Man, asked what happened with Bitch Lady. He's new to shelter. I hadn't met him before this exchange.
"That bitch right there," Gang Banger said pointing his thumbs back at Bitch Lady, "Was going to send her out to the streets to sleep by herself. Look at her. She's tiny. She can't defend herself."

He called Rocky and Stripper Man over, "M meet Rocky and Stripper Man." He made us shake hands and we giggled especially Rocky and me.
"After that night with Bitch Lady I've decided to take her under my wing. She's my sister now. If anyone messes with her you guys tell me right away." he told them. 
"Yeah, this is where Gang Banger tries to make us into hard asses," Rocky says and we all laugh.

Gang Banger doesn't play either. He seriously scares me because he doesn't look like the kind of guy who would hesitate when it comes time to kick ass. And I know he has the track record to prove it.

I took a Percocet for my aching head and muscles and went to bed shortly after. The female dorm was practically empty, only one other girl in the beds so there wasn't a whole lot of room for drama. Even so it took awhile to fall asleep and I woke up several times in the night again. I had another dream about my mother which is really starting to freak me out. Why am I dreaming about that woman all of the sudden? I have no desire to speak to her or see her again so why the fuck is she suddenly haunting my dreams post concussion? That's so incredibly lame.

--mm

No comments:

Post a Comment