Thursday, June 21, 2012

Day Twenty

    ****NAMES CHANGED TO PROTECT PORTLAND'S STREET KIDS***** 

I am so happy I finally have good news! Good karma is finally catching up to me. It's about damn time! I don't have a lot of time to tell the full story. I have a very, very busy day today but let me tell you, this is the second time everything has turned around thanks to a cat.

This time last year Spencer was about 10 weeks or so and weaning off the bottle. He really did turn my life around as any of my friends can testify I am happier and healthier through the bond I share with him. Right now Kitten Lady's cat is in the exact same stage Spencer was a year ago and she just as equally changed my life.

I have been feeling much better since I've been able to interact with the kitten every day. Once I nuzzle her down in my bra I can feel my pulse slow and the weight lifted off of my chest. And now she has done so much more than that. But, I'm jumping ahead of myself here.

While I was sitting in the library yesterday Jesus came and set a Mexican cola in front of me. Peace offering I thought while he opened the bottle with his teeth, which never fails to make me cringe. I was getting caught up on my Dance Moms (don't judge) and when it came time for lunch I asked him if he wanted to walk with me. We walked together but didn't say much. It was nothing like before.

After lunch he, Vampire Girl, and I decided to hang out. Jesus was being moody and not going with the flow like Vampire Girl and I do. We were going to try and find a place to swim but to no avail. Jesus was being difficult. He and I started rough housing over his stupid fake gun and he intentionally dug his fingers into my bad wrist to hurt me. Vampire Girl and I decided to just leave him and go to Safeway where we got ice cream for lunch.

She wanted to go back for Jesus. I didn't. We went and sat on the pavement with him and she gave him the extra ice cream cone I wasn't going to give him. I was laying down with my arm covering my eyes when the cops walked up; for the third day in a row someone had called on Jesus because of his stupid fake rifle. Vampire Girl was not happy about this and went off both on the cops and on Jesus. I know she was acting immature but the cops were even worse, calling her a brat, threatening to cuff her, and yelling in her face. The female officer went to run background checks on us.

The male officer kept bothering Vampire Girl until I finally said, "You know that's really not helping. I understand she is acting immature but yelling and telling her to 'shut up' doesn't really help. It only adds fuel to the fire."
"Well if you act like a brat I'm going to treat you like a brat."
"What does that resolve?" I asked.

The officer could not answer me. When the other officer came back she told Vampire Girl, "I'm going to let you go since you've had such a terrible life I'd probably treat people the same way if I had your life."

I was so disgusted I immediately called the police department and filed a complaint on Vampire Girl's behalf. That last comment went way over the line. Jesus decided to act like it was our fault he got the police called on us and went off to throw a pity party by himself.  Vampire Girl and I were more than happy to be away from him.

We went to the water front and jumped in and out of the fountain then went to dinner. After dinner we got Kitten Lady and went to my favorite happy place Playdate PDX.

People complained about Kitten Lady's kitten so the assistant manager came to ask us to leave. She wasn't going to put up a fight about it but I did.
"She's a service animal." I told him.
"Well I need some paperwork." he said.
"Actually, according to ADA law you cannot ask for any form of paperwork or identification, nor can you ask what her disability is. You may ask what service the animal provides but that is all and I will tell you she has the animal to help keep her calm from PTSD."
"Well I can ask you to not be in this area." He said.
"Actually, you can't. But, I will be more than happy to go and prove this is the law."

Kitten Lady was telling me to shush afraid he was going to call the cops on us or something. I told her to chill. I had it covered. I plugged in my laptop and was about to pull the ADA laws up for him when he walked back.
"I just want to apologize. I looked it up and you're completely right."
I grinned, "Hey, thanks for apologizing that's mature. It's her animal though so apologize to her."

He apologized to Kitten Lady then started chit chatting with me. He said he had seen me there before with and without kids. I told him about how I used to nanny and what not. He asked if I still nannyed and I said no, that I just borrow people's kids when I want. He left and came back with a job application, "Well, since you're not nannying anymore I wanted to offer you a job here. You seem good with people and I like people who can teach me something."

I had no idea he was actually the assistant manager soon to be head manager. I about died on the spot.

We were so happy that we danced and yelled in the street all the way to shelter. We talked loudly about it in front of Jesus who sat tugging on his hair. I went to bed tired but happier than I have been in months.

If I get that job I am buying that cat the fluffiest, pinkiest, prettiest damn cat bed I can find. I have literally been saved by a cat for the second time. Bring on the cat nip!

--mm

No comments:

Post a Comment