Saturday, October 27, 2012

Work, Work, Work

My life is so busy now! I wish I could update more regularly but at best I'm sporadic right now. I do want to give you an impression of what my crazy life is looking like now. I'm going to split it up into categories work/school/home/whatever as sitting down writing/reading a long blog post just doesn't appeal to me right now. (Though I do acknowledge my blog posts are absurdly long.)

I love my job. I really, really do. The store sponsors my housing program so I feel like work is in a way paying for my housing. All of my managers and supervisors (besides one supervisor no one is fond of) are all fabulous people I feel like I can look up to. Everyone at work gets along, there's no drama (besides people worrying about layoffs), and it's just a happy place to be. Our customers love us. The day after the store opened I had an older lady tell me that she worked for our company when she was in college and it was the best job she ever had. So yay!

It's also super nice that I can walk to work in ten minutes. What's not nice is I love our products so I have spent the majority of my checks back to the store. Stupid discounts.

I don't know what happened but one of our supervisor positions opened up. Our managers posted the opening in the staff break room. I decided to just throw myself out there and see what happened. My manager interviewed me today and when I answered his questions he said more than once, "That's the right answer." I mostly talked about how much I loved the job and wanted to stay and grow there. I also talked about managing people when I worked on the newspaper. My main goal was to talk myself up so that when it came time to decide who to lay off after the holidays I wouldn't be on the chopping block list. When we ended the interview my manager said, "I'm really glad we talked."

I don't know if I'll get that supervisor position. I don't really care. If I do that's awesome; a larger clothes budget! If not at least I know without a doubt I'm on the managers' radar in a good way. At least they know I'm here, ready and willing to help and learn anything and everything.

I still can't say for sure what the future has for me. Who really ever does? I'm tired and drained from all the hours I've been putting in with work and school but I have no complaints. I know where my head is sleeping at night, and now it even has two pillows to support it!

--mm

This is how work makes me feel sometimes (forward to 25 sec if you're impatient)

No comments:

Post a Comment