Monday, November 26, 2012

Wizard of Oz

So, I think I explained a little about me getting in trouble with staff the other night. I was supposed to take a Behavioral Night Out (BNO) for walking away from her while she was chewing me out. I refused to take the night out because Oliver (the direct of housing) and Bianca (my case manager) are both gone on vacation. Which is a really bad idea. You should space the vacations out not overlap them so that these problems don't happen. I'd say I petitioned all of the staff I could myself but I didn't. My roommate went down and fought them while I was napping. I think all of my roommates and our honorary roommate Moby were ready to fight staff if they kicked me out permanently.

I thought my refusing to leave would be a lot more dramatic than it was. After 5pm I was officially trespassing (as they pointed out in the notice they posted) but no one even came into our dorm. It was a quiet night. It was odd to me that I was doing what was seen as a drastic form of rebellion but really all I was doing was eating dinosaur chicken nuggets and playing rummy. We kept waiting for some explosion to happen or for them to call the police but nothing. I went to bed at 10pm. It was all very anticlimactic.

This morning I asked to talk to the boss of all bosses of all bosses. The head hauncho. She's like Oz around here. People talk about this Oz but no one is allowed to look behind the curtain. Well, I was going to look behind the curtain dammit. They ran interference and the boss of the case managers told me my night out had become two nights out and if I didn't take that I'd be kicked out of housing indefinitely. "Let me speak to your boss," I told her. She said: "Nobody talks to Oz."

Well, I'm not Nobody am I?

It took two minutes of pressing before she went to talk to Oz, now I know she's easy to budge. She took my two very long grievance reports into her. She came back and told me Oz would meet with me in ten minutes after she read the reports. I hung out downstairs and talked to people I have seen since I moved into housing.

When she walked in I was surprised. I've never even seen her around. She is definitely an enigma. I thought she would be a lot older because people had told me she's been here since the program was started decades ago but she looked maybe like she was in her late forties early fifties.  She said while she normally takes two weeks to follow up on grievance reports she understood my BNO was timely.

We talked for quite awhile. While other issues were mentioned, such as the stalking we mostly hashed out the BNO. At first she wouldn't budge saying that because I already had been warned about my arguing with staff I'd had fair warning about the BNO. I pointed out that I didn't argue, I wasn't mean or verbally abusive. I simply walked away. I said I didn't think it was fair to get a BNO for asking to be left alone when getting yelled at. I kind of went out on a limb and said, "That's what D-Team told me to do in my notice." I thought it said something along those lines but I wasn't sure. Sure enough, she had a copy of the notice so I pointed it out to her right there.

At this point she sat back in her chair and said, "Okay, here's what we'll do." She suspended my BNO for the time being. I think this also means she takes off the BNO for refusing to leave housing. She said she's going to talk to people and figure out what's going on and then sit down with me and the staff the altercation was with. If I prove that I did not make a negative comment to her when I walked away I'm in the clear.

She is also going to look at the other issues I noted such as the staff targeting me, the stalker, the disorganization when I came into housing, things of that nature. I'm hoping that she is going to help find solutions to these situations and turn around all this nonsense going on.

I'll admit talking to her was a good ego boost too. The only other youth who has met her is Moby (that I know of). He didn't meet her specially like I did but instead because she was meeting with a staff when he was around. My roommates asked me all sorts of questions about what she is like. I was really nervous going into the meeting. I wasn't sure how it would go. Since I hadn't met her before I couldn't guess how it was going to go down or even how to approach the situation. I actually really liked her.

Regardless of the results of my BNO I am happy with the situation. I got to stand up for myself, make my case, and hopefully things only get better from here.

--mm

No comments:

Post a Comment